8.03.2010

Milkshake Genius (or, "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...")

I have to give my boyfriend credit for this, because he is the mastermind behind this milkshake. He "invented" it, so he says. And I do have to admit that it is the best milkshake I've ever had in my life, and he makes it perfectly (except when he's teaching me how to make it--sabotage!) and the perfect amount every time. Now that he's gone I have to make them myself, and I think I've finally got it!



You can use any fruit or combination of fruit you have lying around.

Roughly, the proportions are thus:

for 1 serving...

1 cup milk
2 large heaping spoonfuls plain reduced fat yogurt
4 strawberries
1/2 banana
handful of blueberries (my friend picked them over the weekend! yum. super sweet)
2 spoons of brown sugar
1/2-1 tsp of ground cardamom
walnuts
pistachios

If necessary, add milk or yogurt to adjust consistency and blend again. Since I am not a milkshake genius, I often have to do this. And thus, I do not often make the perfect amount, so be forewarned, the above recipe will likely yield a little more than 1 serving.

The yogurt gives a wonderful tanginess and creaminess to this milkshake. The nuts also add protein and give the milkshake an amazing flavor and texture..as you will see from the green speckly goodness of the pistachios blended throughout. The cardamom is what really makes this drink a knockout. It's aroma and flavor transform this ordinary milkshake into something a bit more exotic and beautiful...like a non-Indian girl putting on a sari for the first time. Unexpectedly gorgeous. HAHA.

Anyway, this is a great way, if not the best way, to start my day...whether it's because I'm starving because I haven't had anything for lunch and dinner the day before after working the line all night. Or if I need a little boost but don't feel like eating anything before a heated yoga class...which, let's be honest, I haven't been to in over a month. : )



Enjoy!

No comments: